WELCOME TO MY WORLD

One husband, two daughters, and 8 ( yes 8!) cats.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lazy Thursday

So we are now finished with our year end testing. If motivation was low before, it has hit rock bottom today!
The scores from yesterday's testing is about what was expected. Everything was at or above grade level, except spelling and reading. Since we have been dealing with vision issues, and reading has been hard, confidence is low.

Our goal now is to regroup, review and build some self confidence. Luckily, tomorrow I head to the NCHE Convention and book fair. I have a list of spelling and reading curriculum I want to look at.

Since we are heading into summer, I am going to take it easy and do some basic review. Explode the Code and reading as well as some online work should take us to Fall.

The tester recommended Spell to Write and Read. Alas, I have heard nothing but how hard it is for the teacher. Every used book sale I attend has a ton of these available. In addition, it costs $100. Too much to spend on something sight unseen, which might frustrate both of us and end up being sold as used!

Luckily, I have a great friend who has the program, and is going to let me look at it. Maybe if I can look through it and get a feel for it, I will know if it is something I will be able to manage.

That is the nice thing about going to the book fairs. It gives me a chance to get my hands on the books, open them and see what is involved and whether or not it will fit our needs. Plus, they usually give a discount at the book fairs, which is always a bonus.

So, I keep telling myself that this is the great thing about homeschooling, that I can meet each child where they are in their learning curve. We can review and relearn as needed. And, we can forge ahead in the areas where they are achieving at a higher level.

We sure couldn't do that in public school! Glad we are homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment